Have you ever evaluated the success rate of your online training? What percentage of people who enroll in your courses successfully complete them?
Even the best technology does not replace human presence. Without the interaction that a physical encounter allows, it is sometimes difficult to keep your students motivated and involved.
Fortunately, there are several ways to keep your students' attention during the process of creating a virtual course.
Here are our 20 top tips to keep your participants engaged in your online training!
Outline of the article
- While creating your training content
- During the creation of your online training
- While your students are participating in your training
Reading time: 4 minutes
While creating your training content
Even in the early stages of your project, you can start thinking about motivational strategies. When creating your training content, keep the following ideas in mind. They will help you prepare documents and videos that engage registrants.
1. Have a dynamic introduction. At the beginning of your training, use a video to tell a fun-fact, a fiction, or a shocking statistic. This will grab the attention of your students from the start.
2. Explain the purpose of the training. Why should your students complete this course? How can your content serve them? Answer these questions to convince them of the real benefits and get them interested in going all the way.
3. Alternate types of content. Although we recommend videos for their more human aspect, use different types of lessons to energize the experience. Choose, for example, audio files, illustrations, graphics, etc.
4. Stay relevant. Consider the level of knowledge of your participants to avoid content that has no added value. For those who need it, suggest glossaries or optional lessons to recall certain concepts.
5. Give concrete examples. Plan case studies with guests to show how the concepts learned are applicable in the field. If you do not have a guest, choose a fictional character who can evolve in the same learning environment.
6. Divide the content. Do you know the 10:2 method? It consists of giving 10 minutes of teaching and then giving participants 2 minutes to absorb the information. Encourage this process by avoiding overly long lessons and ending them with questions.
During the creation of your online training
Once your content has been prepared, you need to integrate it into your online training platform. If you use the Didacte platform, you have several options to boost the experience of your users before they are even registered.
7. Organize the content. In your lesson plan, make sure to create a clear structure that is pleasant to consult. Use titles that make navigation easier and divide the lessons into modules to group the concepts together.
8. Create a sense of accomplishment. At the start of a module, identify 1 or 2 easily achievable objectives to motivate your students. At the end of the module, add videos or images to congratulate them and highlight their progress.
9. Offer alternative learning techniques. We know that some people are more auditory and others are visual. To accommodate your various participants, offer a downloadable text version of the recorded content, and vice versa.
10. Break the monotony. Thanks to a quiz, a puzzle, a film extract, or a challenge, give your students a mental break. Take advantage of this element of surprise to validate the knowledge acquired in a more entertaining context.
11. Invite collaborators. Change the tone of your lessons by inviting other experts to contribute to your training. In addition to adding value to your content, they will bring a different energy to yours which will revive your audience.
12. Organize live sessions. If your content allows it, you can integrate virtual classrooms or live lessons into your course plan. These tools will help you create opportunities for discussion and interaction with your participants.
13. Allow time for practice. Help your students develop their skills through field exercises. Request a photo upload that shows their progress, or turn on drip content to space the time between lessons.
While your students are participating in your training
It is a mistake to think that with online training the only effort to make is at the time of its creation. Actually, the best way to boost the commitment of your participants requires regular work. Indeed, your personalized interactions are those that create a human relationship between you and your learners.
14. Personalize the experience. Do you know the personal or professional objectives of your users? If so, use this data to individualize the learning path and set more specific objectives with them.
15. Send feedback. When a quiz is submitted by one of your students, contact those who have performed well to congratulate them. Communicate with others to encourage them and, if necessary, offer your support in private.
16. Stimulate exploration. At the end of a module, suggest to your participants new avenues for personal reflection or external resources. By demonstrating your own passion for the subject, you will inspire them to go above and beyond the lesson plan.
17. Give rewards. Set up incentives with a credit system. For internal training, this may be possible compensation. For sale, offer discounts on complementary products or services, for example.
18. Stay in touch. Often remind your users that they can easily get in touch with you if needed. Let them know that they are not alone in their process and that they have access to your support. This presence, even from a distance, is highly valued.
19. Create an online community. If you want to allow exchanges between your students, a closed group is a way to generate new ideas. It’s an option that requires more management, but it allows a feeling of belonging to rise among the members.
20. Request feedback. Show your willingness to improve by asking for feedback. You can do it directly in your Didacte platform by creating a quiz with a passing grade of 0 and correction is manual.
Do you want to start putting these ideas into practice today? Create your online training platform for free and explore all the functions that allow you to motivate your participants.
The more your students are engaged, the more they will become allies in promoting your training content!
Our resource platform is filled with courses and interviews with experts.
Enjoy all of its content for free!